What is Lufthansa doing to ensure a safe journey during the COVID-19 pandemic?
Because there are many things to consider when traveling in times of corona, Lufthansa offers you all the information you need and takes all the measures for you to have a safe and pleasant travel experience:
- Travel inspiration and entry regulations.
- Travel preparations and guidelines for traveling safely.
- Protection measures.
- Flexible booking.
Travel Inspiration and Entry Regulations
As an aid to finding inspiration and guiding your travel planning, Lufthansa puts at your disposal:
- An interactive world map where you can also see a summary of travel restrictions and requirements. When you’ve chosen your destination, you can check the entry requirements in detail (e.g., COVID-19 test and vaccination Requirements, health forms, quarantine requirements) on the Lufthansa Travel regulations page.
- Detailed information about COVID-19 tests required upon entering Germany, as well as test centers at Frankfurt and Munich airports.
- Relevant information for vaccinated and recovered passengers.
Travel Preparations and Guidelines for Traveling Safely
To help you better prepare for your journey, Lufthansa compiled a checklist that can help you do so in the best possible way. Also, Lufthansa offers you the option, available on many routes, of having your COVID-19 travel documents checked digitally in advance through the Health Entry Support Centre. A successful check will give you the certainty that you have the correct COVID-19 documents and that thus you can travel to the airport with peace of mind. Sometimes, local regulations may require your documents to be checked once more at your departure airport, so you should always carry your COVID-19 documents with you. However, at Frankfurt and Munich airports, you can still use the self-service machines to check in and drop off your baggage. Lufthansa also recommends that you use Online/Mobile Check-in to check in for your upcoming flight while you’re still at home so that you are more relaxed on the departure day.
Lufthansa gives great importance to making you feel comfortable and safe on your journey. That’s why Lufthansa has put in place numerous protective and hygiene measures:
- On all Lufthansa flights, it is mandatory to wear a medical face mask throughout your journey (during boarding, on board, and when leaving the aircraft). On long-haul flights, it is recommended you bring several masks. In addition to surgical masks, FFP2, FFP3, KN95, or N95 standard masks without a valve and not made of fabric are permitted. An exemption to the obligation of wearing a face mask can be made on health grounds upon presentation of a negative Covid-19 PCR test result (no more than 48 hours old) alongside the Lufthansa Group form signed by a doctor.
- At the airports, local regulations may impose the wearing of a face mask inside the terminal. Plexiglass screens have been installed at the Lufthansa check-in counters and ticket desks, as well as wherever there is direct contact between you and Lufthansa employees. Where a plexiglass screen does not guarantee protection, Lufthansa personnel are required to wear a medical face mask. Also, frequently touched surfaces are cleaned and disinfected at regular intervals.
- For a contactless travel experience, you have at your disposal the digital and contactless check-in via the website or the Lufthansa app, self-service kiosks for baggage drop-off, and automatic boarding gates that enable contactless boarding by group.
- Onboard, the frequency and intensity of cabin cleaning have been increased. In addition, the cabins are deep cleaned before and after each flight. The air filtration system completely changes the air in the cabin approximately every three minutes to provide excellent air quality. Combined with the wearing of a face mask, this ensures comprehensive protection.
Lufthansa tickets have a flexible rebooking option so that you can plan your travel to suit your needs:
- If you would like to change your travel plans, you should know that all fares, except the Economy Light fare, can be rebooked without a fee. An additional payment may be required if the fare for the new flight is higher.
- If you would like to cancel your travel plans, refunds are possible according to your fare conditions. Economy Class tickets are usually non-refundable or refundable for a fee. Business Class tickets are fully refundable.
- If your flight is canceled, Lufthansa will rebook you automatically once free of charge to an alternative flight to the same destination and in the same travel class. If this is not possible or the alternative booked by Lufthansa does not fit your plans, you can select an alternative yourself according to certain specifications.