How can I check in at Ethiopian Airlines?
Ethiopian Airlines offers several ways to check in before your trip. You can choose the one that will be more convenient.
- Online Check-in.
- Check-in at the airport – at a self-service kiosk or check-in counter.
When must I check in for Ethiopian Airlines flights?
For domestic flights, all passengers are requested to be at the check-in counter at least 1 hours before the flight departure time.
For international flights, passengers are requested to report at the check-in counter:
- For flights to/from the United States – 4 hours before departure.
- Flights from Addis Ababa Bole International Airport – 3 hours before departure.
- All other flights – 2 hours before departure.
Passengers that do not report themselves, with confirmed reservations and all necessary documents for traveling (including those needed in any transit airport), at the required time must realize that the airline cannot allow them to board the plane.
You can check in via the Internet starting 36 hours before departure for all eligible flights. You can check in online up to 2 hours before departure.
This is an easy system and allows all passengers with a computer and a printer to obtain their boarding pass without going through waiting lines at the airport. Once you access the airline’s website, you can choose your seat preference and confirm flight departure and arrival times. The only thing you need is a previously acquired electronic ticket, and you have to be flying with Ethiopian Airlines. If a part of your journey is operated by another airline, please be sure to inquire with the operating carrier about their check-in procedures.
Online Check-in is unavailable if you are departing from any of these airports: Chad (NDJ), Democratic Republic of Congo (FBM, FIH), Gabon (LBV), Kenya (MBA), Mali (BKO), Ndola (NLA), Niamey (NIM), Republic of Congo (BZV, PNR).
Online Check-in requires the following steps:
- Log in to the Ethiopian Airlines webpage and look for the check-in tab.
- On the new tab that appears, fill in the required information. Be sure to have your Frequent Flyer number and the name of the city from which you are departing. Go to the next step.
- Select the part of your journey for which you are checking-in. Then you can proceed to selecting your seat.
- Choose your seating preferences for your journey. If you are happy with your actual seating arrangements, just proceed to the following step, which will allow you to check your baggage.
- This screen will explain to you what you are allowed to carry and what you should not bring with you on the flight. Please read all the information very carefully to make sure you are not carrying any of the forbidden items.
- You can proceed to enter your baggage information. Just the one that you will be checking in. Please ensure that you baggage complies with the Ethiopian Airlines rules and regulations and that you are not carrying more than what you are allowed (excess baggage will incur extra charges).
- Proceed to the last step and print your boarding pass. You will need two copies at the airport. If, by any reason, you cannot complete the Online Check-in process, you have to be at the airport at least 2 hours before your time of departure and go to an Ethiopian Airlines counter or office.
Once at the airport, you can proceed to the boarding gate if you do not have any baggage to check. In case you are bringing baggage that needs to be checked in, you need to be at the check-in counter dedicated for passengers who have checked in online:
- At least 45 minutes before your departure if you are flying a domestic route.
- At least 1 hour before your departure if you are flying an international route.
Check-in at the Airport
Checking-in at the airport is available at all cities served by Ethiopian Airlines. Where self-service check-in kiosks are available, you can do the check-in yourself in only five steps. You must comply with the check-in times and make sure you are aware of the special requirements of the airport from which you will be departing. Flight time shown on the ticket refers to the time of departure.
For passenger convenience, check-in desks will open for service up to 3 hours before departure and will close 60 minutes before the flight departs. Remember that you will be asked to show your passport and ticket when you get to the Security Checkpoints located before the terminal building. Visitors will be asked to pay a fee of 2 Birr when entering the parking lot and to present their official ID to the guards. Then, the visitors are required to stay and wait at the designated area of the airport. Everybody entering the airport needs to go through the screening process.
Cloud Nine passengers or frequent fliers with any of the Gold or Platinum ShebaMiles or Star Alliance cards can use the specially designated desks at the airport. Once these passengers have checked in, they will be invited to wait in a special lounge. There are a number of services available at the airport from useful information about departure and arrival times to shops, Ethiopian goods, restaurants, and several coffee shops. There is also a designated area for all Muslims to pray.
All passengers boarding the plane need to ensure they have with them their boarding passes. Please be sure to read all the indications, rules and regulations for suitcases and luggage before boarding your flight so you can save valuable time once you get to the airport. Your reservation will be cancelled if you are not aboard the airplane at least 30 minutes before departure. All the no show regulations will be applied.