What is Sun Country Airlines policy on carry-on allowance?
Sun Country Airlines policy on carry-on provides each ticketed passenger the following allowance at no additional charge: one carry-on bag and one personal item.
What is Sun Country Airlines policy on checked baggage allowance?
Passengers traveling on Sun Country Airlines flight have no free baggage allowance. Baggage exceeding the carry-on allowance must be checked and is subject to applicable fees. However, some passengers are exempt from paying certain checked baggage fees.
Your carry-on allowance when traveling on Sun Country Airlines flights consist of one carry-on bag and one personal item. Any carry-on bag or personal item that exceeds the limits stated below will be subject to applicable checked baggage fees.
A maximum of one piece of carry-on baggage is allowed per fare-paying passenger, which may not exceed any of the following dimensions (including handles, wheels, or any other protruding items): 24” long x 16” wide x 11” tall or 114 cm (56 cm x 35 cm x 23 cm). The weight of your carry-on bag may not exceed 35 pounds. Carry-on Sizer boxes are conveniently located near the check-in counters and gate areas, and your carry-on baggage must fit easily within a sizer box.
Also, you may carry one small personal item that must fit under the seat in front of you (i.e., purse, laptop, infant bag, etc.). Your personal item may not exceed any of the following dimensions: 16” long x 11’’ wide x 8” tall.
All carry-on items must be stowed in overhead bins or under the passenger’s seat. Items must not block access to the aisle or exits. Sun Country Airlines’ aircraft fleet is not equipped with closets or other areas for stowing items. Items that cannot be stowed in the cabin must be checked or not carried.
The following items are not counted in the carry-on allowance and may be brought on board the aircraft without additional charge:
- Outerwear such as a jacket, coat, hat or scarf.
- Food and beverages for consumption during the flight.
- Mobility devices. There is storage space available for one collapsible wheelchair in the cabin on a first-come first-served basis. Not all sizes of wheelchairs/mobility devices may be accommodated in this cabin stowage space. Canes, crutches, and other devices may be stowed between two window seats and fuselage (except emergency window exits) or under any series of connected seats provided they are flat on the floor and do not protrude into the aisle.
- FAA-approved child restraint systems used in flight. An infant/child car seat will be accepted for transportation in the passenger cabin only when a ticket is purchased, an additional seat is reserved for the infant, and the car seat can be properly secured by the seat belt.
Sun Country Airlines will not check baggage more than 4 hours prior to the scheduled flight departure. Your baggage will not be accepted if you do not check it at the airport ticket counter prior to the scheduled departure time of the flight, based on individual station procedures. Your name must be clearly and legibly marked on all baggage. Sun Country Airlines will supply baggage identification labels free of charge.
All baggage is subject to inspection. Baggage determined by Sun Country Airlines agents unsuitable for transportation may not be checked. All baggage is subject to search by airport security agents as part of baggage check-in procedures, which vary by airport. On international flights, as required by U.S. and international laws, all baggage must pass customs inspection.
For all Sun Country Airlines flights, baggage can be checked at Sun Country ticket counters. For domestic flights only, passengers who have already checked in online and printed their boarding passes can check their baggage with a skycap, at curbside (where available).
Size and Weight Restrictions
To avoid paying excess baggage fees, no piece of baggage may exceed 50 lbs and/or 62 linear inches (length + width + height). Baggage that weighs more than 100 pounds or exceeds 80 linear inches will not be accepted on Sun Country Airlines flights. On flights to/from Bahamas, Puerto Rico, Jamaica, and St. Martin/St. Maarten, baggage exceeding 70 lbs will not be accepted.
All checked baggage is accepted upon payment of the applicable charges. Baggage fees may be paid in advance of arrival at the airport, online or by calling Sun Country Reservations. For domestic flights, passengers can pre-pay baggage fees at the time of booking, or any time afterwards, including when they check in online. For international flights, baggage fees can be pre-paid from the time of booking until 24 hours before the scheduled departure. Sun Country Airlines recommends you print your prepaid baggage purchase confirmation e-mail for your records, and, as your receipt of prepaid baggage, you should bring a copy to the terminal for check-in.
The option to pre-pay for checked baggage is not available for Unaccompanied Minors and passengers traveling as a part of a group. These passengers must pay for checked baggage at the terminal upon check-in.
Checked baggage fees, as well as excess baggage fees, will be assessed as follows:
- 1st checked bag – $20 one-way, when purchased in advance.
– $25 one-way, at the airport.
- 2nd checked bag – $30 one-way, when purchased in advance.
– $35 one-way, at the airport.
- 3rd bag and following – $75 per bag/one-way.
- Overweight bag – $75 per bag/one-way.
- Oversized bag – $75 per bag/one-way.
Sun Country Airlines will collect one charge per piece at the highest applicable fee calculated on a one-way basis. Fees paid for checked baggage are non-refundable and do not apply toward re-booking of an unused ticket. First bag fees that have been pre-paid are refundable if the ticket is upgraded to First Class at the airport.
Sun Country Airlines will waive checked baggage fees for one or two bags, for the following passengers:
- Passengers who hold full-fare First Class tickets when checking baggage and ticketed passengers who purchase upgrades to First Class through Sun Country Reservations or at the airport are allowed to check 2 bags free of charge.
- Active US Military personnel traveling on official orders are allowed to check 2 bags free of charge. This exception does not apply to travel companions.
- Ufly Rewards Elite Members and travelers on the same reservation are allowed to check 2 bags free of charge when the card is presented at the airport.
- Sun Country Airlines Visa Signature Cardholders and travelers on the same reservation as the cardholder are allowed to check 1 bag free of charge when the card is presented at the airport.
- Passengers who have booked through Sun Country Vacations a flight and hotel package to the Caribbean, Mexico, or Costa Rica are allowed to check 1 bag free of charge.
- Unaccompanied Minors are allowed 1 piece of checked baggage free of charge if all required support information has been entered in the passenger’s reservation, and the Unaccompanied Minor service fee paid.
In addition to the baggage allowance, Sun Country Airlines will accept, at no charge, the following items as checked baggage:
- Wheelchairs and other mobility devices of all types (collapsible and non-collapsible; electric powered with wet or dry cell batteries).
- Car seats and strollers, checked at the ticket counter or “gate-checked” to your final destination when traveling with a child.
The following sporting equipment is not included in determining the baggage allowance and is subject to an additional fee of $75:
- Scuba diving equipment (scuba diving tanks are not accepted, even if they are empty).
- Surfboards, wakeboard, kiteboards, windsurfing equipment (maximum length of five feet).
- Bicycles (non-motorized touring or racing bicycles with single seats).
All other sporting equipment will be included in determining the baggage allowance, and additional fees for additional, overweight and/or oversized bag will be charged when in excess (the excess charge for a single piece will be charged whether or not presented as a single piece).
In case your checked baggage is damaged, delayed or lost, you must provide preliminary notice to Sun Country Airlines before leaving the airport terminal. Written notice of the claim must be given to Sun Country Airlines at any of its offices within 45 days after the alleged occurrence of the events giving rise to the claim.