What is Jetstar policy on carry-on allowance?
All passengers may carry on board at least one carry-on bag and one small item without additional charge, provided they comply with Jetstar’s requirements (weight and dimensions limits, which may vary depending on the fare purchased). Only infants not occupying a seat do not have a carry-on allowance.
What is Jetstar policy on checked baggage allowance?
On Jetstar flights, the Weight Policy applies for checked baggage, which means that baggage allowances vary only by weight, regardless of the number of bags you need to check. Not all fares include a free baggage allowance:
- Economy Starter fares:
- No bundle and FlexiBiz bundle – no free checked baggage allowance.
- Plus bundle:
- 10 kg checked baggage allowance on Jetstar Japan (GK) domestic flights.
- 20 kg checked baggage allowance on all other flights.
- Max bundle – 30 kg checked baggage allowance.
- Business fares (including Business Max bundle) – 30 kg checked baggage allowance.
If your itinerary includes Jetstar (JQ), Jetstar Pacific (BL) or Jetstar Asia (3K) flights connecting to Jetstar Japan (GK) domestic flights, the higher baggage allowance will apply to all flights in the itinerary.
A maximum of 40 kg of checked baggage per passenger is permitted on all Jetstar flights, with no restrictions on the number of bags. However, each checked bag must weigh less than 32 kg.
Does Jetstar provide baggage transfer on connecting flights?
Jetstar does not provide baggage transfer for multiple flights, unless otherwise advised. If your itinerary includes connecting flights, you must make your bookings so that you allow sufficient time between the first flight’s arrival and the next flight’s departure. If you book multiple Jetstar flights in separate bookings or connect to/from other airlines with Jetstar, it is recommended that you leave at least 3 hours between flights.
Jetstar Airways provides limited baggage connectivity on selected flights purchased on the same booking. Jetstar Airways staff will advise you at check-in whether your baggage will be transferred. Baggage transfer is only available for the following connections:
- Jetstar international flights connecting to/from international flights operated by Jetstar or a partner airline (American Airline, Air Canada, Cathay Pacific, Emirates, Japan Airline, Qantas, Qatar Airways, etc.).
- Domestic Jetstar Japan (GK) flights connecting to international flights operated by Qantas, American Airlines, Delta Airlines, or Japan Airlines.
Strict limits apply to carry-on baggage, and charges will apply for excess or oversized carry-on baggage. Carry-on baggage allowances depend on your travel cabin:
- Starter, Starter Max, Starter Plus – one main item and one small item, with a total combined weight of up to 7 kg.
- Starter FlexiBiz – 1 main item up to 7 kg plus 1 small item.
- Business – two main items and one small item, with a total combined weight of up to 14 kg, as long as each main item does not exceed 7 kg.
In addition to weight limitations, dimensions requirements apply for your main item of carry-on baggage: 56 x 36 x 23 cm (H x W xD). On regional New Zealand flights operated with Bombardier Q300 aircraft, your carry-on baggage must not exceed 48 x 34 x 23 cm (if larger than these dimensions, but still within the size restrictions for other aircraft, your bag will be checked in free of charge).
The additional small item you bring on board could be a handbag, pocket book, purse, laptop computer, small camera, coat, umbrella, or approved duty free goods (for international flights). Each carry-on item must fit and be stored under the seat in front of you, or in a storage compartment. Any piece of cabin baggage that does not comply with Jetstar’s requirements will need to be checked in, and charges may apply.
There are restrictions on the items that can be included in your carry-on baggage during a flight set out by the government and airport authorities, and it is your responsibility to check before departure for any restrictions applicable to your flight. Limits apply to the amount of liquids, aerosols and gels (LAG) that can be taken through airport security screening points in Australia. Also, if your domestic flight is departing from an international terminal, you must adhere to the Cabin Baggage LAG restrictions (liquid, aerosol or gel products must be in containers of 100 millilitres or less, which must be carried in one plastic bag, transparent and resealable).
Passengers must check their baggage at a Jetstar Bag Drop counter before the check-in deadline for the flight. Passengers with bulky items or excess baggage should arrive at the airport as soon as check-in opens for the flight. When traveling with an infant, prams and portable cots may be checked in for free, only at the check-in counter.
Optional Baggage Allowance
An optional baggage allowance may be added at the time of booking, for a fee. You can add and customise the amount of your checked baggage according to your needs. You can manage baggage allocations for each passenger and even select different baggage amounts for each flight (outbound and return flights). This means that Jetstar gives you the option to purchase only the baggage you need. For Starter fares, you can select from 15 kg to 40 kg of checked baggage in 5 kg increments, per passenger, per flight. Business Class passengers can purchase an extra 10 kg of checked baggage in 5 kg increments, per passenger, per flight.
If you need to add baggage after you have made your booking, you can do so through My Jetstar online, by calling Jetstar Reservations or at the airport, but for a much higher fee. However, because Jetstar offers more than 50% discount on the airport rates at the time of your initial booking, the cheapest way to purchase your checked baggage allowance is when you book your flight.
Size restrictions apply for checked baggage depending on the operating carrier and aircraft type:
- 2 m – Jetstar Pacific (BL) flights operated with A320 or A321 aircraft.
- 2.3 m – Jetstar (JQ), Jetstar Asia (3K), and Jetstar Japan (GK) flights operated with A320, A321 or Bombardier Q300 aircraft
- 2.77 m – Jetstar (JQ) flights operated with Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner aircraft.
If your itinerary contains multiple flights with two or more aircraft types, the lesser of the limits will apply. Provided enough space is available, bulky items can be included as part of your checked baggage allowance. Excess baggage charges will apply if the bulky item causes your entire checked baggage to exceed the checked baggage allowance included in your fare.
Excess Baggage Fees
You must pay excess baggage fees at the airport in the following situations:
- If your fare does not include a free baggage allowance (Economy Starter fares, including FlexiBiz bundle) and you have not purchased a checked baggage allowance in advance, you must upgrade to a 15 kg baggage allowance at the airport if you have a bag to check. The following fees apply for a 15 kg checked baggage allowance per passenger:
- Domestic flights:
- Australia – 50 AUD.
- New Zealand – 70 NZD.
- Vietnam – 16 USD / 360,000 VND.
- Japan – 2,600 JPY.
- International flights:
- Jetstar (JQ) – 160 AUD/NZD/USD/SGD / 4,000 THB / 4,800 TWD / 480 MYR / 1,120 HKD / 16,000 JPY.
- Jetstar Pacific (BL) – 40 USD / 730,000 VND.
- Jetstar Japan (GK) – 4,000 JPY / 290 HKD / 1,000 TWD / 250 CNY / 1,550 PHP.
- Jetstar Asia (3K) – 40 USD / 60 SGD / 725,000 VND / 1,400 THB / 1,400 TWD / 320 HKD / 4,000 JPY / IDR 400,000 / 2,200 PHP.
- Domestic flights:
- If you have purchased checked baggage (including at the airport) or your fare includes checked baggage, Jetstar will charge you a per kilo fee for every kg of checked baggage above your allowance:
- Domestic flights:
- Australia – 15 AUD.
- New Zealand – 15 NZD.
- Vietnam – 2.5 USD / 45,000 VND.
- Japan – 800 JPY.
- Intra-Asia flights – 15 USD / 20 SGD / 300,000 VND / 600 THB / 600 TWD / 120 HKD / 1,500 JPY / IDR 150,000 / 2,200 650 / 50 MYR / 100 CNY.
- International flights – 25 AUD/NZD/SGD / 1,500 JPY / 200,000 IDR.
- Domestic flights:
Excess baggage fees will be charged in the local currency of the applicable airport. If your itinerary includes one domestic flight and one international flight, the international excess baggage rate applicable to your departure point will be charged for your whole journey.
Sporting equipment within the size and weight restrictions can be included in your checked baggage allowance. Because sailboards exceed length restrictions, windsurfing equipment is not accepted as checked baggage.
In case of lost or damaged baggage, you can seek assistance at your arrival airport from a staff member at a Jetstar Baggage Counter or the Jetstar Service Desk (if there is no Baggage Counter available). For claims involving damaged baggage, you must present the item to a staff member to assess the damage. Also, you can submit a claim in writing, via Jetstar’s Baggage Enquiry form.