Does Cathay Pacific offer services for children traveling alone?
For children traveling alone, Cathay Pacific offers the Unaccompanied Minor service. However, not all flights are eligible to accept Unaccompanied Minors, and you must check with the local Reservations Office for availability of the Unaccompanied Minors service and ticket purchase. Bookings cannot be completed online.
Are there any age restrictions for minors traveling alone on Cathay Pacific flights?
Children from 3 months of age up to 6 years are not permitted to travel unless they are accompanied by a person of 18 years of age or above.
Children aged from 6 up to under 12 years may travel alone, but must be registered as Unaccompanied Minors. Otherwise, they must be traveling together with a person of 18 years of age or above.
Children aged from 12 to under 18 years can travel as Unaccompanied Minors only at the request of their parent or guardian.
Unaccompanied Minors (UM) Service
Arrangements and services for Unaccompanied Minors must be booked at least 24 hours in advance. Cathay Pacific will not accept children traveling alone unless they are registered for this service in advance.
Cathay Pacific Airlines will not accept Unaccompanied Minors with any itineraries that involve a transfer exceeding 5 hours. Connecting flights must be arriving/departing from the same airport. The airline will not assume responsibility of the minor until 90 minutes prior departure although Unaccompanied Minor may be checked in earlier.
When dropping-off or picking-up an Unaccompanied Minor, these are the things for the parent/guardian to note:
- The parent or guardian is required to remain at the airport and stay contactable until the flight is airborne.
- In the event of a delay for more than 1 hour of scheduled departure time, the parent or guardian will be notified, and in certain circumstances (such as a lengthy delay) this individual may be required to pick up the Unaccompanied Minor at the airport.
- Cathay Pacific will care the child throughout the journey until the child passenger is collected by the nominated adult at the arriving airport. The person waiting for the child at the arrival airport must provide proof of identification before the child is handed over.
Special surcharges and booking fees, by sector basis, will be applied:
- Between Hong Kong and all destinations in Africa, North America, South Asia Subcontinent, Europe, Middle East and Southwest Pacific: HKD 800 / USD 100.
- Other routes: HKD 400 / USD 50.