Does Calm Air offer services for children traveling alone?
Calm Air offers an Unaccompanied Minor (UM) Service, and, because the airline understands the potential danger that this fact signifies, the minor will be accompanied by the airline’s personnel during the entire flight. Children who travel alone are taken care of since their check-in until the meeting with the accredited person who picks the child up at the airport of destination.
Which are the age limitations for minors traveling alone on Calm Air flights?
Children between 5 and 11 years of age, who are not traveling with a passenger who is at least 16 years old or older, are designated as Unaccompanied Minors. Children younger than 5 years old are not allowed to travel unaccompanied.
Minors that require special assistance (e.g., in taking required medication or they have a disability) will not be accepted for travel unaccompanied.
Unaccompanied Minor (UM) Service
Booking an Unaccompanied Minor online is possible. However, you should still contact the Reservations Department, no less than 24 hours before the departure of the correspondent flight, so that the airline can guarantee that the reservation contains the correct contact information, and also notify airport agents to be ready for your child’s arrival. On the other hand, you may make a reservation for the Unaccompanied Minor directly via Calm Air Reservations.
All the special service provided by Calm Air to Unaccompanied Minors is subject to a service fee of $100 CAD plus taxes per each way. This charge has to be paid when making the reservation.
Calm Air has the following considerations for you to notice:
- For the minor’s protection and security, Calm Air will have need of the names, telephone numbers and addresses of the guardians who will bring the minor to the airport and who will meet the child at the final destination. It is compulsory that you provide this information, and you must add it to the booking.
- Please do the check-in process at least 90 minutes before the scheduled departure time to allow enough time for all documents to be completed. The parent or guardian who brings the minor who is traveling alone to the airport, must show a valid photo identification at the check-in counter, and he or she will be required to remain at the airport minimum 15 minutes after the flight departure.
- One gate pass may be given to a guardian or parent who drops off the Unaccompanied Minor, on the condition that they have proper identification.
- Pre-boarding is offered for Unaccompanied Minors.
- Please be confident that your child will be appropriately supervised by airport personnel and in-flight crew while he or she is on the ground and on board the aircraft. It is recommended that your child brings his or her favorite games, toys and reading material in order to keep him or her entertained and comfortable during the flight.
- Travel on connecting flights will be permitted only if the connecting time is less than 2 hours and arrangements for a guardian to meet the minor upon arrival into the connection point and take responsibility for the minor until the next flight departs have been made.
- The guardian or parent who will be picking up the minor upon arrival at the final destination must also show a valid photo identification.