What is airBaltic’s policy with regard to the hand baggage allowance?
airBaltic allows each passenger (except infants) to carry a certain amount of hand luggage according to the class of travel. There are maximum dimensions and weight for baggage that you carry on to the aircraft.
What is airBaltic’s policy with regard to checked baggage allowances?
Passengers, except those who have purchased Basic tickets, may check in some baggage, free of charge and subject to airBaltic’s regulations and limitations. One passenger can check in up to 5 pieces of baggage. Baggage allowances of passengers traveling together cannot be pooled except if the passengers are included in the same booking.
Each piece of free checked baggage and each piece of additionally purchased baggage entitles the passenger to a 20 kg allowance per piece.
The maximum weight of one piece of checked baggage is 32 kg, but the heavy baggage fee will be applied to all pieces of checked baggage weighing over 20 kg. The maximum dimensions of each piece of checked baggage are 100 x 80 x 50 cm.
Depending on the ticket fare class and PINS membership, passengers enjoy the following hand baggage allowances:
- 1 piece + 1 personal item with an 8 kg weight limit – Basic and Premium Economy Elite tickets.
- 2 pieces + 1 personal item – Business tickets and PINS VIP members.
- The dimensions of each piece of hand baggage may not exceed 55 x 40 x 20 cm.
- The dimensions of the personal item may not exceed 40 x 30 x 10 cm.
If you are unsure that your hand baggage complies with the size and/or weight restrictions, you should go at the baggage drop-off desk before going through security. If your hand baggage exceeds the limits, you will have to check it in for a €40 fee. Extra and/or oversized hand baggage will be refused at the boarding gate or, where available, placed in the aircraft hold for a fee of €60.
Passengers with reduced mobility may bring auxiliary devices into the passenger cabin, provided that safety rules are complied with.
On airBaltic flights, checked baggage allowances vary per class, and PINS membership may entitle passengers to additional baggage allowance as follow:
- Basic – no free baggage allowance.
- Premium Economy – 1 piece of checked baggage of up to 20 kg free of charge.
- Business – 2 pieces of checked baggage with a total weight of up to 40 kg free of charge.
- PINS Executive members – 1 additional piece of up to 20 kg free of charge (does not apply to Basic tickets).
- PINS VIP members – 2 additional pieces with a total weight of up to 40 kg free of charge (does not apply to Basic tickets).
airBaltic will transport a wheelchair free of charge if it is required for the mobility of a passenger and the use of a wheelchair is declared at least 48 hours before departure.
Each passenger may check in up to 5 pieces of baggage with a weight of 20 kg per piece. For pieces over the free baggage allowance, passenger will have to pay the following fee per piece per one-way journey¹:
- From €19.99 (depending on the route) – while booking tickets on airBaltic.com.
- From €34.99 (depending on the route) – when paying online via Manage my booking or Online Check-in.
- €35 – via other sales channels (e.g. agencies or ticket offices).
- €40 – at the airport check-in desk.
- €60 – at the gate (hand baggage that exceeds the size and/or weight restrictions and must be checked in).
¹If your trip includes a stopover in Riga exceeding 24 hours, the baggage fee will be applied to each flight separately.
At the airport, the following fees apply for baggage exceeding maximum weight or dimensions:
- €50 heavy baggage fee – any piece of checked baggage exceeding the 20 kg per bag allowance (21-32 kg).
- €60 bulky baggage fee – any piece of checked baggage exceeding the maximum dimensions of 100 x 80 x 50 cm.
This charges are collected only at airports and applied per bag, not per kg. If your checked baggage allowance exceeds the number of pieces, maximum dimensions and/or weight allowed, fees will be applied cumulatively.
airBaltic accepts the following sports equipment: bicycles, diving equipment, golf equipment, skiing/snowboarding equipment, ice hockey equipment, fishing equipment, surf/kite board and windsurfing equipment. Surfboard, kiteboard and windsurfing equipment is not accepted on Bombardier Q400 flights.
One set of sports equipment is accepted free of charge for Business ticket holders and PINS VIP members (does not apply to Basic tickets). The other passengers will be charged a sports equipment fee as follows:
- €34.99 – while booking tickets on airBaltic.com.
- €40 – via other sales channels (e.g. agencies or ticket offices).
- €39.99 – via Manage my booking, the online payment form and Online Check-in.
- €60 – at the airport check-in desk.
Each set of sports equipment must be packed in one piece of baggage (except skiing/snowboarding equipment and ice hockey equipment); otherwise, the sports equipment fee will be charged for each piece of equipment. The weight of each set of sports equipment must not exceed 20 kg; otherwise, €50 heavy baggage fee will apply to each set weighing between 21 and 32 kg. Only a limited number of sets of sports equipment can be accepted on each flight; therefore, passengers wishing to transport sports equipment should declare it in advance.
Any delay in delivery of checked baggage should be reported immediately after the flight to the Lost & Found office at the airport of arrival, but no later than 21 days after arrival. When your baggage is located, you will be contacted to arrange the delivery. If your baggage is not located within 21 days of arrival, a claim for compensation may be filed to airBaltic Customer Relations.
Any damage to checked baggage should be reported immediately after the flight to the Lost & Found office of the arrival airport, but no later than 7 days after arrival. Once the damage reported, you should submit the boarding pass, baggage tag, DPR (Damaged Property Report) and application to airBaltic Customer Relations.