What is the carry-on allowance on WestJet flights?
WestJet allows passengers to bring on board one carry-on baggage and one personal item. When flying with WestJet Encore, you will fly in a Bombardier Q400 NextGen turboprop which is big, but the space for the carry-on baggage is little. When traveling with WestJet Encore be sure to carry your essential items with you (fragile objects, medication, keys, laptops, and cell phones). As such, you may be asked to check carry-on items, so be sure to carry your essential items with you (fragile objects, medication, keys, laptops, and cell phones).
What is WestJet’s policy on checked baggage allowance?
WestJet and WestJet Encore accept standard bags up to 157 cm (62 inches) in combined dimensions (length + width + height) and 23 kg (50 lbs). A checked baggage fee may apply from the first bag based on the fare type purchased, where you are traveling to and from, and on the marketing carrier (the airline selling the seat).
Baggage over 45 kg (100 lbs) or with combined dimensions exceeding 203 cm (80 in) will not be accepted for transport. Some items like wheelchairs, walkers, canes, crutches, approved restraint systems, playpens, strollers, and humanitarian aids are permitted at no charge.
Each WestJet passenger can have one carry-on baggage and one personal item on board stowed under the seat in front or in the overhead bins. The carry-on bag may include, but it is not limited to a backpack, bag, or suitcase. The carry-on bag cannot exceed the following measurements: 53 x 23 x 38 cm (21 x 9 x 15 in).
The personal item may be but is not limited to a briefcase or purse, camera, garment, kennel, or laptop computer. The personal item must not exceed the following measurements: 41 x 15 x 33 cm (16 x 6 x 13 in).
In addition to the carry-on baggage certain items are allowed:
- A diaper bag with the child’s items.
- An approved restraint system for children with a purchased seat.
- Canes and walkers.
- Duty free items.
- Properly labeled medication.
- Medical devices, syringes or needles.
- Human organs for transplant or delicate scientific instruments.
- Two liters of blood for personal use and properly packaged.
- Cremated remains.
- You should always pack in your carry-on: identification, keys, medication, jewelry, mobile devices.
- At check-in, your carry-on should fit the sizing device.
- Your carry-on should also be light enough so you can put it in the overhead cabins or under your chair without any assistance.
- Carry-on baggage should only contain acceptable items for the country you are traveling to.
It is important to mention that baggage check-in cut-off time is 45 minutes before departure for domestic flights and 60 minutes before departure for international flights. However, if you have overweight or oversized baggage, you should check-in 30 minutes before the normal check-in time.
Maximum four bags per passenger are accepted on WestJet flights, and maximum three bags per passenger are allowed when traveling with WestJet Encore in the turboprop aircraft. However, the 3rd and 4th bags are accepted on a space-available basis to/from all destinations, and only two bags per passenger and only one oversized golf bag are accepted when traveling to/from Jamaica or Trinidad and Tobago.
Baggage fees are combinable where applicable (if the third bag is overweight and oversized, all three fees will apply). WestJet charges the following baggage fees:
|Checked Baggage||Destination||Basic & Econo||EconoFlex||Premium||Business|
|1st bag*||North America, the Caribbean,|
|2nd bag**||North America, the Caribbean,|
|$50-59 CAD||$50-59 CAD||Free||Free|
|Europe||$90-107 CAD||$90-107 CAD||Free||Free|
|3rd bag***||All destinations||$100-118 CAD|
|4th bag||All destinations||$100-118 CAD|
(23-45 kg / 50-100 lbs)
|All destinations||$100-118 CAD|
(157-203 cm / 62-80 in)
|All destinations||$100-118 CAD|
|*Free for WestJet Rewards Silver / Gold members and WestJet RBC World Elite MasterCard primary cardholders.|
|**Free for WestJet Rewards Silver & Gold members.|
|***Free for WestJet Rewards Platinum members.|
|****Except for one golf bag that must contain golf clubs, oversized baggage is not permitted to/from Jamaica or Trinidad and Tobago.|
Sporting equipment counts as a piece of checked baggage and is accepted provided the following requirements are met:
- The sports item should have a maximum length of 3 meters (9.8 feet).
- The equipment should meet the specific air travel requirements.
- A handling fee of $50 CAD will be charged at the airport for bicycles, each surfboard, paddleboard, wakeboard and set of wave skis, and firearms.
- The equipment is subject to all applicable excess baggage fees (oversized, overweight, and extra piece fees), with the following exceptions:
- Oversized fee and overweight fee (up to 100 lbs) will be waived for hockey, ringette, lacrosse, and football equipment and bicycle in a container with a maximum dimension of 292 cm (115 in).
- The oversized fee will be waived for curling equipment, golf equipment, skis, water skis, snowboards, and vaulting poles (accepted on Boeing B737 aircraft only in a maximum of 5.31 m (17 ft.) nylon bag with a total weight of 100 lbs).
If you require additional information or packaging instructions, you can find here information about fees, the amount allowed, and packaging instructions for: bicycles and helmets, golf clubs, hockey, ringette, lacrosse and football equipment, scuba gears, skateboards, longboards, and scooters, skis, water skis and snowboards, sports balls, sports racquets and surfboards and windsurfers.
If your baggage is delayed, missing, or damaged, you should contact WestJet immediately. If your baggage is delayed, you have a maximum of 21 days to report it to WestJet. A WestJet representative will create a delayed baggage report. If the issue is damaged baggage, you should report it within 7 days.