What is Turkish Airlines policy on carry-on allowances?
In addition to the cabin baggage allowance, which depends on the travel class, Turkish Airlines policy allows passengers to carry in the passenger cabin free of charge one smaller personal item.
What is Turkish Airlines policy on checked baggage allowances?
For Turkish Airlines flights, the free checked baggage allowance may vary according to travel class and itinerary. For interline flights, the Most Significant Carrier rule will apply. The baggage policy of the airline designated by the system as the Most Significant Carrier (the airline operating the most significant and/or longest part of the journey) will apply. As an exception, on interline flights to/from the US and Canada, the rules of the First Marketing Carrier apply to all travel, and this carrier may also choose to apply the Most Significant Carrier rule.
Depending on the travel class, passengers are entitled to the following free cabin baggage allowance:
|Class of Travel||Quantity||Maximum Weight||Dimensions|
|Economy Class||1 piece||8 kg||55 x 40 x 23 cm|
|Business Class||2 pieces||8 kg each piece|
Additionally and regardless of the travel class, one item no larger than a camera, telephone, etc., will be considered as a personal item and will be carried free of charge.
Passengers will be checked for cabin baggage at the check-in counter or during the boarding process. If the maximum weight or size is exceeded, it must be carried in the aircraft hold as part of the checked baggage allowance.
Liquid products bought at duty-free stores must be carried in special, sealed bags along with their receipts. On connecting flights from/through the US or the European Union, liquids in excess of 100 ml purchased from duty-free stores at the original point of departure will not be accepted, even in their sealed bags.
Free Baggage Allowance
For travel on Turkish Airlines domestic flights, the free baggage allowances are set by the Weight Policy, i.e. a limit for the total weight of the baggage regardless of the number of pieces that a passenger will check:
- EcoFly – 15 kg.
- ExtraFly – 20 kg.
- PrimeFly – 25 kg.
- Business – 30 kg.
For international, the free baggage allowances are set by the Piece Policy or Weight Policy:
|International Flights – Free Baggage Allowance – Piece Policy*|
|Class of Travel||Maximum Number|
per Piece (L + W + D)
|Economy||2 pieces||23 kg||158 cm|
|Business||2 pieces||32 kg|
|*Piece Zone – North & South America, Japan, Seychelles, Mauritius, Madagascar, part of Africa (Abidjan, Abuja, Accra, Asmara, Bamako, Banjul, Conakry, Cotonou, Dakar, Douala, Freetown, Khartoum, Kano, Kinshasa, Lagos , Libreville, Luanda, N’Djamena, Niamey, Nouakchott, Ouagadougou, Pointe Noire, Port Harcourt, Port Sudan, Yaoundé).|
The Weight Policy applies for the following zones:
- Zone 1: Athens, Batumi, Bucharest, Constanta, Ganja, Kishinev, Nakhichevan, Odessa, Pristina, Sarajevo, Skopje, Sofia, Thessaloniki, Tirana, Varna.
- Zone 2: Alexandria, Almaty, Amman, Aqaba, Ashgabat, Astrakhan, Bari, Beirut, Belgrade, Bishkek, Bologna, Budapest, Cairo, Catania, Dnipro, Dushanbe, Graz, Hurghada, Ivano-Frankivsk, Kabul, Kharkiv, Kherson, Khujand, Kosice, Krasnodar, Kyiv, Ljubljana, Lviv, Luxor, Malta, Mazar-i-Sharif, Minsk, Naples, Nur-Sultan, Osh, Pisa, Podgorica, Rome, Rostov-on-Don, Salzburg, Samarkand, Sharm El Sheikh, Sochi, Stavropol, Tashkent, Tabriz, Tel Aviv, Tbilisi, Warsaw, Venice, Vienna, Zagreb, Zaporizhia.
- Zone 3: Algiers, Amsterdam, Baghdad, Baku, Basel, Basra, Berlin, Benghazi, Bremen, Brussels, Cologne, Constantine, Dusseldorf, Erbil, Frankfurt, Friedrichshafen, Geneva, Genoa, Germany, Hamburg, Hanover, Karlsruhe, Leipzig, Luxembourg, Lyon, Marseille, Milan, Misrata, Moscow, Mosul, Munich, Münster, Najaf, Nice, Nuremberg, Oran, Prague, Riga, Rotterdam, Sabha, Stuttgart, Sulaymaniyah, Tallinn, Tripoli, Tunisia, Turin, Ulaanbaatar, Vilnius, Zurich.
- Zone 4: Aalborg, Abu Dhabi, Aden, Al-Qassim, Bahrain, Barcelona, Bilbao, Billund, Birmingham, Bordeaux, Copenhagen, Dammam, Doha, Dubai, Dublin, Edinburgh, Gothenburg, Helsinki, Isfahan, Jeddah, Kazan, Kermanshah, Kuwait, London, Madrid, Malaga, Manchester, Medina, Mashhad, Novosibirsk, Oslo, Paris, Riyadh, Rovaniemi, St. Petersburg, Stockholm, Shiraz, Tațif, Tehran, Toulouse, Ufa, Valencia, Voronezh, Yekaterinburg, Yanbu.
- Zone 5: Addis Ababa, Bangkok, Bali-Denpasar, Beijing, Cape Town, Casablanca, Colombo, Delhi, Djibouti, Dhaka, Dar es Salaam, Durban, Entebbe, Guangzhou, Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Hong Kong, Islamabad, Jakarta, Johannesburg, Karachi, Kathmandu, Kigali, Kilimanjaro, Kuala Lumpur, Lahore, Lisbon, Male, Manila, Maputo, Marrakech, Mogadishu, Mombasa, Mumbai, Muscat, Nairobi, Phuket, Porto, Seoul, Singapore, Shanghai, Taipei, Zanzibar.
With the Weight Policy, the free baggage allowances, set as a maximum total weight regardless of the number of pieces that a passenger wants to check, are as follows:
- Economy Class – 20 kg.
- Business Class – 30 kg.
There may be a few exceptions from these free baggage allowances on certain routes and/or in certain periods (e.g., flights to/from Paris – 30 kg in Economy Class, 40 kg in Business Class, to/from Mogadishu – 40 kg in Economy Class, 50 kg in Business Class).
Excess Baggage Fees
For travel on Turkish Airlines domestic flights, the excess baggage fee is 12 TL/kg on direct flights and 18 TL/kg on connecting flights.
For international flights on which the Weight Policy applies, Turkish Airlines will charge excess baggage fees on a zone basis. The zones in which the points of departure and arrival are situated must be determined in order to calculate excess baggage fees as follows: the fee specified for the departure zone – Turkey plus the fee specified for Turkey – arrival zone.
|Weight Policy – Excess Baggage Fee per Kg|
|Between||Zone 1||Zone 2||Zone 3||Zone 4||Zone 5|
|Turkey||4 EUR||6 EUR||8 EUR||11 EUR||16 EUR|
For example, when you have a flight from London, in Zone 4, to Sharm El-Sheikh, in Zone 2, for 1 kg of excess baggage, the fee is calculated as follows: Zone 4 – Turkey + Turkey – Zone 2 => 11 EUR + 6 EUR = 17 EUR.
For international flights on which the Piece Policy applies, an overweight baggage fee of 80 USD will be charged for a piece weighing 23-32 kg (when the maximum weight per piece within the free baggage allowance is 23 kg), and an excess baggage fee will be charged for each additional piece of baggage:
|Piece Policy – Excess Baggage Fees per Additional Piece|
|Between Piece Zone and||1st & 2nd Additional Pieces||3rd+ Additional Piece|
|Turkey||160 USD||185 USD|
|Zone 1||190 USD||230 USD|
|Zone 2||195 USD||235 USD|
|Zone 3||200 USD||240 USD|
|Zone 4||220 USD||265 USD|
|Zone 5||250 USD||300 USD|
|Piece Zone||290 USD||350 USD|
For stopover flights departing from airports outside Turkey that process excess baggage by piece, additional fees will apply:
|Between||Turkey||Zone 1||Zone 2||Zone 3||Zone 4||Zone 5||Piece Zone 1|
|Turkey||10 USD||40 USD||45 USD||50 USD||55 USD||65 USD||130 USD|
These are some examples how excess baggage fees are calculated:
- Flights without stopovers:
- From Washington to Istanbul, Turkish Airlines will charge 160 USD for the first extra piece of baggage and 505 USD for three extra pieces.
- From Washington to Paris (Zone 4), Turkish Airlines will charge 220 USD for the first extra piece of baggage and 705 USD for three extra pieces.
- Flights with stopovers:
- From Washington to Ankara with a stopover in Istanbul, Turkish Airlines will charge 170 USD per extra piece of baggage (160 USD is payable for the Washington – Istanbul segment plus 10 USD for the Istanbul – Ankara segment).
- From Chicago to Tel Aviv (Zone 2) with a stopover in Istanbul, Turkish Airlines will charge 240 USD per extra piece of baggage (195 USD is payable for the Chicago – Istanbul segment plus 45 USD for the Istanbul – Tel Aviv segment).
The following sporting equipment is subject to mandatory reservation and accepted as checked baggage upon payment of a special fee:
- Domestic flights:
- 39 TRY – golf, ski, snowboard equipment.
- 59 TRY – archery, bicycle, bowling, canoe (max. length 3.5 m), diving, fishing, hockey, inflatable boat, lacrosse, parachuting, paragliding, rafting, surfboard (max. length 292 cm / 115 in; max. width 60 cm / 24 in), tent, windsurfing (max. length 292 cm / 115 in; max. width 60 cm / 24 in), water ski.
- International flights:
|Sporting Equipment||Europe, Middle East,|
|Africa & Asia**||All Other Destinations|
|Golf, ski, snowboard, water ski – 1 set||Free||Free||Free|
|Golf, ski, snowboard, water ski – additional set||30 EUR||50 EUR||60 EUR|
|Archery, bicycle, bowling, canoe (max. length 3.5 m), diving, fishing,|
hockey, inflatable boat, lacrosse, mountaineering, parachuting,
paragliding, rafting, surfboard***, tent, windsurfing***
|*Including Russia (except Yekaterinburg); North Africa – Algeria, Eritrea, Morocco, Libya, Tunisia; Middle East – Bahrain, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Qatar, Syria, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Yemen.|
|**Africa – except North Africa* & South Africa, Madagascar, Mauritius, Mozambique; Asia – Afghanistan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka.|
|***Max. length 292 cm / 115 in; max. width 60 cm / 24 in.|
|For connecting flights to/from international airports (e.g., Washington to Bucharest), the total charge is calculated by adding together the one-way charge between each point and Turkey (60 EUR Washington – Istanbul + 30 EUR Istanbul – Bucharest = 90 EUR).|
The special fee doesn’t apply to equipment not mentioned above, and this equipment is considered as checked baggage.
Any baggage irregularity (delayed, damaged and/or lost baggage) must be reported at the Lost Property Office before leaving the arrival hall, on the arrival day. For the first 5 days, the Lost & Found Office is responsible for searching for the lost baggage. When baggage is missing upon arrival, Turkish Airlines will offer an essential needs pack.