What is Thai Airways policy on pet acceptance?
In order to make your travel with pets, easier, peaceful and carefree, Thai Airways offers you the possibility of transporting your pet on its flights, in the most convenient way for you to have an enjoyable trip. Transportation of pets on Thai Airways flights is allowed either as checked baggage in the hold or as cargo (meaning it is unaccompanied). The rules for pet acceptance may vary depending on the particular itinerary (departure and destination countries). Thai Airways may restrict some types of pets depending on its size or its nature.
Pets (Guide and Assistance Dogs not included) are not accepted in the passenger cabin on THAI flights.
Which pets are allowed to travel on Thai Airways flights?
The pets that Thai Airways accepts to transport are dogs and cats in the hold of the aircraft. Other animals may be transported as cargo. However, some specific animals are not allowed at all.
Which are the restrictions regarding pets transportation on THAI flights?
Before taking a trip with a pet, you may need to know the following limitations about the transportation of pets:
- The number of pets in each flight is limited; this fact depends on the regulations and rules of each destination country.
- Pets are not accepted on flights operated with A320 aircraft because the baggage compartment is not designed to accommodate live animals.
- Thai Airways does not permit pets which are pregnant, sick or injured for transportation.
- It is important for you to know that some countries imposed regulations which indicate that the allowance of pets entering their countries must be as cargo only. Examples of these countries are Hong Kong, United Arab Emirates, New Zealand, Australia, the United Kingdom and some others.
- The entry to some countries for dogs and cats that are less than 6 months old is not allowed.
- Some breeds of dogs are not permitted to be transported into Thailand, such as Pitbull Terrier or American Staffordshire Terrier. This is with the aim to meet the terms of the Department of Livestock Development notice in Thailand.
- Passengers must provide enough food and water for the pet transported because feeding it during transfers may not be possible.
Are there any documents required when traveling with a pet?
Before the departure date, you need to be sure to have all the following documents related to your pet:
- Rabies and health vaccination certificate from a veterinarian, with current value.
- Valid export and import permits issued by an animal quarantine officer.
- If your pet is a dog or a cat, and you are transporting it to any European Union country, it will need to be implanted with a microchip.
- When transporting the pet to India, you need to obtain the “No Objection Certificate (NOC)”, issued by the Animal Quarantine and Certification Services (AQCS).
- When transporting the pet to Japan, you must notify the Animal Quarantine Bureau of this country that your pet is entering Japan. This notification must be made at least 40 days prior to the scheduled date of arrival. Then, the Bureau will expedite the “Approval of Inspection of Animal” document.
- The airline considers very important that you obtain all details possible related to the documents required for animals transportation from the correspondent Embassy.
Pets as Checked Baggage
Thai Airways allows for your pet to be transported in the aircraft hold, just under the passenger cabin and on the same flight as you are (as checked baggage). This service permits the check-in and pick-up of your pet at the passengers terminal at departure and destination airports.
Specific arrangements are needed to transport a pet, which is why you should inform THAI at least 48 hours before the flight time, preferably at the time of booking, that you are traveling with a pet. Then, the airline will take the considerations needed in terms of available space, and the agent will provide you with support related to information about regulations, policies, and documents you must submit for your pet to be transported until the specific final destination.
If accepted for transportation in the hold, the pet container will not be included in your free baggage allowance. Pets transported as checked baggage are considered special baggage for which THAI will charge a Special Unit price (flat rate) depending on the weight of the pet and its container:
- Up to 10 kg – 2 x Special Unit price.
- Up to 20 kg – 3 x Special Unit price.
- Up to 30 kg – 4 x Special Unit price.
- Up to 40 kg – 5 x Special Unit price.
Passengers can pay the correspondent amount at the check-in counter. The Special Unit price depends on the route:
- Wholly within TC3 and between Middle East Area and TC3 – USD 100.
- Between TC2 and TC3 – USD 150.
- To/from the US and Canada – USD 150.
If the passenger is blind or deaf, Thai Airways allows Guide and Assistance Dogs inside the cabin. Therefore, passengers have to provide all the required documents. The dog will be located next to the passenger but will not occupy a seat. A very important thing to consider is that, due to the fact that no animal can be placed near the emergency exit rows, the seat which the passenger occupies must be in a different row. Besides, the dog has to use a harness during flight.
As in the previous cases of animal transportation, the passenger must inform the airline at least 48 hours before the fight departure that a Guide or Assistance Dog is accompanying him/her in the trip. Thai Airways does not charge for this service.