How can I check in for a Spirit Airlines flight?
When you are traveling with Spirit Airlines, you can choose one of the following options to check in for your flight:
- Online Check-in – free.
- Kiosk Check-in – there is a $2 fee per passenger charged when the boarding pass is printed at a kiosk.
- At an airport ticket counter – there is a $10 fee per passenger charged when the boarding pass is printed by a Spirit Airlines agent at domestic airports; the fee is waived for passengers that are unable to complete Online Check-in or departing from West Palm Beach, Florida.
Which are minimum check-in times that apply for Spirit Airlines flights?
Spirit Airlines recommends that you to check local news and airport information prior to arrival at the airport and to arrive at the airport with enough time in advance (2 hours for domestic flights and 3 hours for international flights) to allow obtaining the boarding pass (if you haven’t checked in online), passing through security and getting to the boarding gate on time.
All passengers are required to obtain their boarding passes before the minimum check-in times, which apply also for passengers checking baggage and are the following:
- 45 minutes – for domestic flights.
- 60 minutes – for international and US Virgin Islands flights.
If these minimum check-in times are not met, and you do not obtain your boarding pass at least 45 or 60 minutes, whichever applies, prior to scheduled or posted departure time, Spirit Airlines reserves the right to cancel your reservation or seat assignment.
Online Check-in is available if you have a confirmed domestic or international reservation for a Spirit Airlines flight. Due to security directives issued by the Transportation Security Administration (TSA), Online Check-in may not be available in certain international locations. Online Check-in is available between 24 hours and 60 minutes before the scheduled departure time.
During Online Check-in, you have the following options:
- Purchase carry-on and/or checked bags – at lower rates than fees charged at the airport.
- Buy a seat assignment – free of charge, Spirit will assign random seats at check-in, but you can request a seat assignment from $1 to $50 for regular seats and from $12 to $150 for Big Front Seats.
Prior to buying bags or seats and printing the boarding pass, passengers traveling internationally are required to enter passport information.
With your boarding pass printed, you can proceed directly to the Fast Bag Drop (available at certain airports if you bought online bags weighing up to 40 lbs) to drop off your luggage, then through security and to the boarding gate. You can also have a Mobile Boarding Pass sent to your email address so that you can show it on your mobile device to the TSA agent and Spirit Agent at the airport.
Ticket Counter Check-in
Spirit Airlines requires certain passengers to check in at the airport ticket counter:
- Passengers traveling to/from certain international destinations.
- Non-US citizens who depart from international locations.
- Passengers who purchased an extra seat or special items.
- Passengers traveling with an infant on lap.
- Unaccompanied Minors.
- Passengers traveling with pets or Service Animals.
- Passengers traveling on a group reservation (10 or more passengers).
- Passengers traveling with Military ID instead of a passport.
If you are not present at the boarding gate at least 15 minutes before departure for domestic flights or 30 minutes for international flights, Spirit Airlines may cancel your reservation, and you may become ineligible for denied boarding compensation. Passengers needing assistance and Unaccompanied Minors are invited to board first.