Does SilkAir offer a service for children traveling alone?
To ensure children’s safety when they have to travel alone (without their parents/guardians aged 18 years and above), SilkAir offers the Unaccompanied Minor service for children and young passengers from 5 to under 18 years of age. With this service children are always under someone’s care throughout the journey, from check-in to arrival at the final destination.
Is the Unaccompanied Minor service mandatory or optional?
Depending on the child’s age, Unaccompanied Minor service is:
- Mandatory for Unaccompanied Minors from 5 years to under 12 years old.
- Optional for Unaccompanied Minors from 12 years to under 18 years old. Dispensation for special handling can be obtained if parental consent is given. In such an instance, the parent/guardian has to sign an ‘Unaccompanied Minor Assistance & Handling Waiver’ for each outward and return flight, stating that the child is entirely capable of handling his/her own needs and requires no assistance on the ground and for the entire journey.
Unaccompanied Minor Service
Special handling for Unaccompanied Minors must be arranged through the local SilkAir office, separately for the outward and return journey, and applies only to flights operated by SilkAir and Singapore Airlines. In case of a connection to a flight which is not operated by SilkAir or Singapore Airlines, the operating carrier’s Unaccompanied Minor policy applies, and the child may not be accepted as an Unaccompanied Minor on such flight.
SilkAir is unable to provide special handling after disembarkation if the Unaccompanied Minor is transferring to a flight which is not operated by SilkAir or Singapore Airlines. Unless the parent/guardian makes arrangements for the child to be met at point of transfer, SilkAir will not accept the Unaccompanied Minor when the journey involves:
- Transfers between two airports
- Connections that exceed 24 hours.
- Overnight connections at airports other than Singapore Changi Airport.
Additional charges for the Unaccompanied Minor service may apply for passengers aged 12 to under 18 for whom the service is requested.