Are there restrictions when traveling with babies on Ryanair flights?
Infants up to 7 days old inclusive are not accepted on Ryanair flights.
Infants, babies aged 8 days to 23 months inclusive, must be accompanied by an adult aged 16 or over. Only one infant per adult is permitted.
Can I reserve a seat for my baby?
For safety reasons, infants travel on an adult’s lap using an infant seat belt provided by the cabin crew. The charge for carriage of infants is £/€25 (or local currency equivalent) per infant per one way flight (maximum one infant per adult).
Alternatively, a separate seat may be reserved for an infant under the following conditions:
- From 8 days old, infants can travel in their own seat using an approved car seat:
- Forward facing and fitted with a 5 point harness.
- Not wider than 42.5 cm (16.8 in) so that it fits in space between the armrests of an aircraft seat.
- Certified for use on board aircraft as follows:
- European car seat – CE sticker and “Certified for use on aircraft” printed on it.
- U.S. car seat – FAA sticker and “Certified for use on aircraft” printed on it.
- Children age 1 year and older can travel in their own seat using the Amsafe CARES child restraint. You must provide this type of child restraint, and the weight limit for its use is 22-44 lbs (10-20 kg).
- When you book a separate seat for an infant, you cannot make the booking online. You must contact a Ryanair agent or call center to make the booking for all passengers (website discounts apply), add the car seat details, and allocate a suitable seat onboard.
Children 2 years of age and older must always travel in their own aircraft seat. If the infant reaches the age of 2 years before the return journey, he/she must pay the applicable adult fare plus taxes, fees and charges for that part of the journey. A car seat can also be used on board by a child over 2 years, in which case you can make the booking for all passengers online, but you must contact a Ryanair call center to add the car seat details and allocate a suitable seat on board.
Baggage for Infants and Children
There is no checked or hand baggage allowance for infants not occupying a seat. However, you may carry on board a baby bag up to 5 kg, in addition to your carry-on allowance.
Free of charge, you may check in two items of baby equipment per child: one pushchair plus one car seat or booster seat or travel cot.
Additional infant equipment up to a maximum of 20 kg per item may be booked online at the rate of £/€15 per item per one way flight. At the airport, the higher rate of £/€25 per item per one way flight will apply. Infant equipment weighing over the 20 kg allowance will be charged for the excess at the applicable excess baggage rate per kg. Provided local conditions permit it, pushchairs can be used up to the aircraft steps and made available after landing at the aircraft steps.
If a separate seat has been purchased for the infant, the infant has his own hand baggage allowance and the option to purchase a checked bag.
Seating Options for Infants and Children
When traveling with an infant on lap, only window seats can be selected.
Approved car seats for infants/children can only be fitted in rows 5-14 and 19-30. The car seat cannot obstruct the exit of other passengers, so normally the car seat will be fitted in the window seat.
It is mandatory for an adult traveling with children under 12 (excluding infants) to purchase a seat so that the children get a free reserved seat. Maximum four children for every one adult on the booking will get a free reserved seat.
For adult passengers required to purchase a reserved seat, a reduced fee of €4 will apply for seat selection in rows 18-33. Seats in rows 18-33 will be free for children.
If seats in rows 18-33 are unavailable for everyone in the booking, a seat in a different row may be selected for the difference in price, and free reserved seats for children will then apply first to rows 11-15 and at last to rows 6-10 (except for travel in July and August, when children will also be required to pay the price difference).
If seats in rows 18-30 are available, but a seat in a different row is selected, the price difference must be paid, and children will be charged the full price of these seats.