How does Qatar Airways ensure a safe flight during the COVID-19 pandemic?
In March 2020, when the COVID-19 pandemic hit, Qatar Airways stringently implemented the most advanced safety and hygiene measures, and, as the only global airline that never stopped flying throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, it accumulated unrivaled experience of how to safely and reliably carry passengers during these uncertain times.
Qatar Airways and Hamad International Airport lead the industry during the pandemic, being the first global airline and first and only airport in the Middle East and Asia to achieve Skytrax 5-Star COVID-19 Safety Ratings.
Information on Travel and Entry Requirements
To have a safe, pleasant, and hassle-free journey, Qatar Airways recommends checking travel restrictions before booking your flight. To ensure safe travel and limit the spread of COVID-19, many countries have implemented entry requirements, including PCR testing, passenger locator forms, and other measures. To find out about travel requirements, use the special form to check entry or exit requirements and check out Qatar Airways’ travel alerts for updated information. If government regulations require you to present a negative COVID-19 test result on departure and/or arrival, Qatar Airways will verify this information at check-in and retain a copy of the test result. Make sure you have additional copies of the test result available for submission.
Travel Safely With Qatar Airways
To ensure that passengers are safe when traveling, both in the air and on the ground, Qatar Airways implemented new hygiene measures and new procedures throughout your journey, from check in to arrival at your destination:
- Before your flight, check in online and print or download your boarding pass. You can also print your baggage tags. Arrive at the airport 3 hours before your flight, but don’t forget to check the local airport website for additional information.
- Boarding by zone helps maintain physical distancing. The cabin crew wears a face mask, protective glasses, protective suit, and gloves. Protective kits containing a face mask, gloves, and hand sanitizer gel are distributed to all passengers on board. You must wear the face mask throughout the flight until you disembark at your destination.
- After every flight, Qatar Airways aircraft are disinfected using cleaning products recommended by the International Air Transport Association (IATA) and the World Health Organization (WHO). As an additional step after manual disinfection, the Honeywell UV Cabin System is utilized to ensure the highest standard of cleanliness. Aircraft are also equipped with industrial-size HEPA filters, the most advanced air filtration system that provides the most effective protection against infection by removing 99.97% of viral and bacterial contaminants from re-circulated air.
- On-board services are modified to prevent the spread of coronavirus. Blankets and linen are washed, dried, and then pressed at microbial lethal temperatures. Pillow covers from Economy Class are disposed of after every flight. After being washed with detergents, all service equipment is rinsed with demineralized fresh water at temperatures that kill pathogenic bacteria. Headsets are sanitized after each flight and hygienically packed after every flight.
The Hamad International Airport in Doha implemented the latest technologies to optimize passenger and employee safety:
- A face mask and a valid ticket are required for entry into the airport terminal. Throughout the terminal, wearing masks is mandatory.
- At departure and arrival, thermal screening is conducted for all passengers. Advanced thermal screening helmets are part of the measures.
- All high-contact surfaces are regularly and thoroughly sanitized and disinfected, and disinfection robots using UV light are used to disinfect crucial areas.
- Hand sanitizers are available at all key locations, and physical distancing markings and signage are in place.
- E-gates using facial recognition, as well as Immigration counters, are fully operational. Ground service staff wear masks and gloves.
Qatar Airways’ guaranteed flexibility policy is applicable to tickets issued or reissued up to 31 August 2021 for travel up to 31 May 2022. As one of the most flexible booking policies in the market, Qatar Airways’ guaranteed flexibility policy offers:
- Unlimited date changes and destination changes – you can change your travel date or destination within the same class of travel as often as you like, with no fees (fare difference applies).
- Voucher worth 10% more – you can exchange your ticket for a future travel voucher with a 10% increased value when booking travel via qatarairways.com.
- Ticket refund – you can get the unused value of your ticket refunded through your original form of payment, with no penalties or refund fees.