How can I check in for a Korean Air flight?
When traveling on a Korean Air flight, various options are available for passengers to check in before or after arriving at the airport:
- Web/Mobile Check-in.
- Kiosk Express Check-in.
- Airport Check-in.
When must I check in for my Korean air flight?
For international flights, it is recommended to arrive at the airport 2 hours before your departure time and 40 minutes for domestic flights. It will allow you to comfortably check in and pass security checkpoints. There are different check-in closing times, according to where you’re traveling from and where you’re traveling to:
- If you are traveling internationally, the check-in closing time will be 40 minutes before your departure time.
- If you are traveling domestically, the check-in closing time will be 20 minutes before your departure time.
- If you are traveling from North America, Europe, Middle East and Africa, the check-in counter will be closed 60 minutes before your departure time.
- If you are holding an Exchange Voucher, you need to check in at the Korean Air Web/Mobile Check-in counter at least 1 hour before your departure time.
However, if you have a code-share flight (flights where Korean Air partners with an airline on routes and schedules that are not served by Korean Air), the check-in process is provided by the operating partner airline (partner airline).
Web Check-in Service is available from 48 hours before the scheduled departure time (24 hours before departure – Canada, the US and the UK flights) of your Korean Air flight. You may use it when holding a valid e-Ticket up to 40 minutes before departure for domestic flights and up to 1 hour before departure for international flights.
Korean Air does not allow passengers to use Web Check-in when:
- Departing from Guiyang, Hefei, Nanning, Nha Trang, Mudanjiang,Tunxi, and Urumqi.
- Traveling on charter flights or other airline flights.
- Traveling on code-share flights that are operated by other airlines.
- Revalidation of the e-ticket is required (e.g. discounted ticket, the credit card must be verified at the airport).
- Traveling on domestic flights with infant or child or requesting additional services (e.g., traveling with a pet, wheelchair-assistance, Unaccompanied Minor, etc.).
- Traveling to the US and not holding ESTA (e.g. holding a green card or paper visa).
During Web Check-in, passengers are given the option to:
- Select seat.
- Enter and modify the frequent flyer number.
- Enter passport information.
- Check in for the return flight – Return Check-In Service available only to First Class and Prestige Class passengers traveling on an eligible itinerary within 48 hours.
You may print your boarding pass at home – international airports issuing Web/Mobile Boarding Pass:
- Korea: Incheon, Gimhae, Gimpo.
- Japan: Narita, Haneda, Fukuoka, Niigata, Okayama, Okinawa, Osaka.
- Europe: Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Istanbul, London, Madrid, Milan, Paris, Prague, Tel Aviv, Vienna, Zurich.
- Oceania: Auckland, Sydney.
All other airports issue an exchange voucher, which you will need to exchange for a boarding pass at the airport by presenting your travel and ID documents (identification card or passport) at the Korean Air Web/Mobile Check-in Counter. An exchange voucher will also be issued when:
- Traveling on domestic flights departing from Incheon International Airport
- Traveling on international flights with an infant or child under 12.
- Requesting additional services on international flights (e.g., wheelchair-assistance, traveling with pets, etc.)
- Passengers asked to be granted a visa.
You can check in at a Korean Air counter by simply bringing your passport, visa (if required by the country you are visiting), e-Ticket Itinerary/Receipt and the credit card used in the online transaction (if your booking was made online). You will have your seat assigned, baggage checked and your boarding pass for your flight.
Kiosk Express Check-in service
When you use this service, you can get a boarding pass even without going to a counter. It will make your check-in faster and more convenient. This service can be used up to 60 minutes before international flights and up to 20 minutes before domestic flights.
Korea Air offers Kiosk Express Check-in only to passengers:
- With a confirmed e-Ticket.
- Traveling to a no-visa country.
- Of Korean nationality traveling from Incheon to the US under the Visa Waiver Program.
- Traveling from Incheon, Gimpo, or Gimhae to China.
This service may not be used when:
- Traveling with an infant.
- Requiring special assistance.
This service is currently offered at a few airports:
- For domestic flights: Seoul (Gimpo), Jeju, Busan (Gimhae), Ulsan, Yeosu/Suncheon.
- For international flights:
- Korea: Seoul (Incheon & Gimpo), Busan (Gimhae), Jeju.
- America: Los Angeles, Las Vegas (McCarran), New York (JFK), San Francisco, Seattle (Tacoma), Vancouver.
- Japan: Tokyo (Narita & Haneda); Nagoya; Osaka.
- Europe: Frankfurt (Main Airport), London (Heathrow Airport), Tel Aviv (Ben Gurion).
Russia: Moscow (Sheremetyevo).
For international flights, boarding begins 30 minutes before departure time and closes 10 minutes before departure time.
For domestic flights, boarding begins 20 minutes before departure time and closes 5 minutes before departure time.