What options do I have to check in at KLM?
KLM offers several check-in options which allow you to start your trip the way you want:
- Online Check-in.
- Mobile Check-in (via the KLM app).
- Kiosk Check-in.
- Desk Check-in.
When must I check in for my KLM flight?
Please keep in mind that KLM will not be responsible if you do not arrive at the gate on time, due to long lines from immigration, security, check-in desks, or kiosks. KLM strongly suggest you plan your trip in such a manner that you will get to the airport at least 2 hours before your departure if you are departing from an airport in Europe, 2 to 3 hours if you depart from the Caribbean, The Antilles, or the Middle East, and 3 to 4 hours if departing from Asia, North and South America, or Africa. Don’t forget to check directly with the airport for specific rules and times that might apply.
The closing times for check-in vary depending on your route and departure airport:
- European flights – check-in closing time is 40 minutes before departure, except departures from the following airports:
- Istanbul – 60 minutes before scheduled departure.
- Intercontinental flights – the check-in deadline is 60 minutes before departure, except departures from the following airports:
- Bonaire and Guayaquil – 70 minutes before departure.
- Freetown – 80 minutes before departure.
- Lagos – 90 minutes before departure
- Accra and Paramaribo – 120 minutes before departure.
For most flights, you can check-in online from 30 hours up to 1 hour before departure. The following exceptions apply for Online Check-in:
- From 24 hours up to 1 hour before scheduled departure for flights to/from the United States.
- From 30 hours up to 90 minutes prior to departure for flights from Ethiopia, Kenya, or Sudan.
- From 24 hours up to 1 hour before scheduled departure for Aeromexico flights.
If booked via the KLM website, Online Check-in via the KLM website is available if the flight is operated by KLM, Air France, Aeromexico, Alitalia, Belavia, China Airlines, China Eastern, China Southern, CityJet, Czech Airlines, Delta Airlines, HOP!, Kenya Airways, Korean Air, TAROM, Vietnam Airlines, and Xiamen Airlines.
Checking in online for your next KLM flight is an easy process you can complete in just four steps:
- Go to the KLM website and use your e-mail or your Flying Blue membership code to log in. You can also use the number on your ticket or your booking information.
- Enter your information: name and flight number, for you and all the passengers that are traveling with you.
- Choose all the options you want: better seats, special meals, and the 20-30% discount offered when you arrange for extra baggage.
- Make sure you have done all necessary changes and selected all options you needed. You are now ready to print the boarding pass and the ones for all the passengers that are traveling with you. Or, you can request an Electronic Boarding Pass.
Remember that if you are not able to print from the location you are at, you can still get them printed at the self-service machines located at the airport or you can send them to a friend that can print them for you. You can also request an electronic pass through your email or mobile phone. If you find that there is no boarding pass available for printing, proceed to print the check-in information and have it replaced for the boarding pass at the KLM counter.
Check-in at the airport is required when Online Check-in is not available. It is not possible to check in online if:
- Your departure airport does not allow Online Check-in. If this is the case, please check in at one of the do-it-yourself kiosks or at the check-in desk. Do investigate the check-in facilities at the airport you will be boarding!
- A passenger requested assistance and is not accompanied by a person at least 15 years of age listed on the same reservation.
- When the KLM ticket starts with a train ride to Amsterdam Airport Schiphol from Antwerp Central Station or Brussels South Railway station.
If you decide to cancel your check-in for any reason, the only thing you have to do is go back online and cancel it in the “Cancel check-in” tab.
This is another safe and easy way to check in before your trip:
- If you have already received a text message with your flight information, click on the link. If not, on your phone, go to the KLM app and click the check-in option.
- Once there, enter either the number on your ticket or the flight number and the booking code. All your information will be displayed on the screen.
- Choose your seat and any other options you might want to add and take advantage of the discounts on extra luggage (20% and sometimes even more).
- Get your Electronic Boarding Pass.
If the use of an Electronic Boarding Pass is not available for your departure airport, you can print your boarding pass at home or at the airport (at a self-service machine, baggage drop-off point, or check-in desk) up to 40-60 minutes before your departure.
If you are not able to check online, which is the fastest and easiest way to do it, you can still try doing it at KLM’s self-service check-in machines at the airport. Kiosk Check-in is available on the day of departure at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol and at least two hours before departure at other airports.
Self-service Baggage Drop-off Machines
At Amsterdam Airport Schiphol, self-service baggage machines can be used to check your baggage yourself if:
- You have already checked in and have your boarding pass.
- You do not exceed your baggage allowance (if you have excess baggage, you can use the regular baggage drop-off points).
- You have valid travel documents.
If no machines are available, you can check in at the desk if your flight is leaving the same day. At the Amsterdam Airport of Schiphol, the desks are open from 4:30 in the morning. It is also possible to check in at KLM Crown Lounges in Amsterdam, Houston, and Toronto.
Before boarding starts, the gate will be open 60 minutes before departure for European flights and 90 minutes before departure for intercontinental flights. Boarding begins 30 minutes before departure for European flights and 60 minutes before departure for intercontinental flights.
Boarding time may vary per airport and destination. If you arrive after the gate closing time, you will not be allowed to board the aircraft.