What is Egyptair policy on carry-on baggage allowance?
Subject to Egyptair’s conditions and limitations, passengers may carry in the passenger cabin some baggage, free of charge. If your carry-on baggage exceeds the limitations, then it will form as part of your checked baggage allowance and will be checked to your final destination. The carry-on policy applies on all Egyptair flights except where restrictions are imposed by government regulations or the size of the aircraft.
On Egyptair flights, passengers (adults and children – except infants), are entitled to the carry-on allowance corresponding to their travel class:
- First & Business Class – 2 pieces with a maximum weight of 8 kg each.
- Economy Class – 1 piece with a maximum weight of 8 kg.
What is Egyptair policy on checked baggage allowance?
Egyptair policy on checked baggage is to provide free baggage allowances for each class of ticket. Any baggage in excess of the allowance will be charged for excess baggage.
Passengers traveling on Egyptair flights are entitled to a checked baggage allowance corresponding to the route, class of travel and frequent flyer status:
|Travel Class||Checked Baggage Allowance|
|Number of Pieces||Maximum Weight|
|Domestic Routes||International Routes|
|First & Business Class||1 piece||2 pieces||32 kg / 70 lbs||158 cm / 62 in|
|Economy Class||1 piece||2 pieces||23 kg / 50 lbs|
|Frequent Flyer Status||Additional Allowance|
|Egyptair Plus Platinum & Gold||1 extra piece within the limitations of the travel class|
|Star Alliance Gold|
Carry-on Baggage Exceptions
Exceptions from the above allowance apply in the following situations:
- At UK airports, carry-on baggage with these maximum dimensions – length 58 cm, width 45 cm and depth 25 cm (including side pockets, handles, etc.) – will be permitted.
- For flights to/from/within the U.S., only 1 piece of cabin baggage and a personal item are permitted, due to government regulations.
- When departing from South African airports, passengers are allowed as carry-on baggage:
- 1 bag plus one slimline laptop bag in Economy Class.
- 2 bags plus one slimline laptop bag in First & Business Class.
- Each bag should not exceed 7 kg and 56 x 36 x 23 cm (total dimension of 115 cm).
- If the flight is operated by small aircraft, like E170 aircraft, First and Business class passengers may be asked to check in their second piece of hand baggage.
- If the booking includes codeshare flights, the carry-on allowance may differ from the Egyptair allowances. For codeshare flights on United Airlines, 1 piece of cabin baggage and 1 personal item is permitted for all classes (First, Business and Economy) with a maximum dimension per piece of 19 x 31 x 53 cm.
In accordance with the local occupational safety rules, checked baggage cannot exceed 32 kg per piece. If the baggage weight exceeds the limitation per piece, passengers are required to re-pack their baggage as the baggage over 32 kg will not be accepted and must be shipped separately as freight or cargo.
If passengers have any special or heavy items of baggage, or extra baggage which is over the free allowance, they should be aware of what arrangements need to make before travel:
- They must arrive at the airport at least 90 minutes before the normal check-in time to pay the excess fee.
- The excess baggage will be accepted subject to space availability.
- Egypt Air check-in facilities will close 60 minutes prior to the scheduled departure time of the flight.
- The oversized baggage must not exceed the 203 cm (79 inches), and the overweight baggage must not exceed 32 kg.
- Before they can check in, passengers who exceed the maximum weight accepted will be asked to repack their excess baggage into smaller units and pay the appropriate charges.
- Egyptair Plus Silver members have 50% discount for the first extra piece of baggage on all classes on Egyptair flights only.
Passengers who exceed their baggage allowance will have to pay excess baggage fees for extra, overweight and/or oversized pieces:
|Between||And||Extra Piece||Overweight Piece|
(24- 32 kg)
(158 – 203 cm)
| New York|
|Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon||$100||$50||$50|
|Middle East, Africa, Far East, Europe||$120||$60||$60|
| Canada & the US|
(other than NYC/YTO)
|Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon||$120||$60||$60|
|Middle East, Africa, Far East, Europe||$160||$80||$80|
|Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Syria||$60||$30||$30|
|Africa*, Europe**, Middle East***||$80||$40||$40|
|Middle East***, Africa*, Cyprus, Greece,|
Turkey, Jordan, Lebanon, Syria
|Europe** (except Cyprus, Greece, Turkey)||$100||$50||$50|
|Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Syria,|
Cyprus, Greece, Turkey
|Middle East***, Africa*, Europe**||$100||$50||$50|
|Middle East***, Africa*, Europe**|
(except Cyprus, Greece, Turkey)
|Jordan, Lebanon, Syria,|
Middle East***, Europe**
|Africa*, Europe**, Middle East***||$120||$60||$60|
|Middle East***, Jordan, Lebanon, Syria||$80||$40||$40|
|Middle East***, Cyprus, Greece, Turkey, Africa||$300||$150||$150|
|Europe** (except Cyprus, Greece, Turkey)||$325||$162.5||$162.5|
|New York, Toronto (YTO)||$350||$175||$175|
|Canada & the US (other than NYC/YTO)||$400||$200||$200|
|*Africa – except Khartoum, Juba, Tunis, Algeria, and Morocco.|
**Europe – including Tunis, Algeria, and Morocco.
**Middle East – including Khartoum and Juba.
|Applicable taxes are not included in the prices.|
Egyptair accepts sporting equipment as checked baggage. Most sporting equipment may be carried within the free baggage allowance (FBA), but certain equipment will be carried only as excess baggage:
|Sporting Equipment||Excess Baggage Fees|
|Within the FBA||Archery, fishing, golf equipment, water ski, ski,|
snowboard, scuba, firearms and ammunition
|50% of the applicable excess baggage fee|
if over the free baggage allowance
|Bike||100% of the applicable fee if overweight|
|Not Included in the FBA||Kite, small surfboard less than 2 m||50% of the applicable excess baggage fee|
Egyptair offers HomeTag on Cairo – Milano, Milano -Cairo, and London – Cairo routes, giving passengers the option to print the luggage tags at home, during Online Check-in. If the journey begins in the European Union, the HomeTag must be printed in color. With baggage prepared like this, at the airport, you can go straight to a baggage drop-off counter or self-service baggage check-in kiosks. HomeTag holders are available at the Egyptair baggage drop-off counters.
For baggage that is damaged, delayed, lost, or damaged, the passenger must file a written complaint to Egyptair as soon as possible. The complaint must be filed within 7 days in the case of damage to the checked baggage and within 21 days in the case of delay.