What is easyJet doing to offer passengers a safe travel experience during the Covid-19 pandemic?
For EasyJet, the safety and wellbeing of its passengers and crew remain the highest priority. That is why, alongside offering up-to-date information, the airline implemented enhanced safety and hygiene rules and new booking conditions that will remain in place for as long as needed to keep you safe and allow you to fly with confidence:
- Travel information and essential advice.
- Bio-security measures – from disinfecting the aircraft to mandatory masks.
- Protection Promise – new booking conditions and products.
Travel Information and Essential Advice
On easyJet’s website, you can find a dedicated section Know before you go so that you can prepare to fly with confidence:
- You must be aware of any travel restrictions or entry requirements to the destination you are flying to and the destination you are returning to. Many countries require certain forms to be completed in advance and presented when boarding or on arrival. Also, you may be required to provide evidence of a negative Covid-19 test. The Country-Specific Travel Information page helps you find local information you need to prepare for travel, but it is important that you also check local government websites and updates.
- The Flight Tracker allows you to check your flight status up to 2 days before the date of departure.
- You can also find information on the traffic light system, the UK Government’s Global Travel Taskforce approach to safely restart international travel from England.
- To learn how to travel safely on holiday, together with its expert partners, easyJet Holidays put together a COVID Travel Tips page with some top tips covering the practical things to think about for your trip given the new environment.
Bio-security measures have been set in consultation with aviation authorities, ICAO and EASA, relevant national authorities, and with the advice of the airline’s medical advisor:
- Besides the existing daily aircraft cleaning, additional cleaning and disinfection procedures for aircraft cabins are scheduled daily, providing surface protection from viruses for at least 24 hours.
- All aircraft are fitted with state-of-art filtration technology that filters 99.97% of airborne contaminants, including viruses and bacteria. Through these HEPA filters, the same as those used in hospitals, the cabin air is replaced every 3-4 minutes.
- All passengers and crew are required to wear masks in the airport and on board at all times. Furthermore, all flights have spare sanitary equipment, including masks, gloves, and hand sanitizer, to ensure these are available at all times on board if required.
- At the airport, social distancing rules are the same as they are in other public spaces. To avoid crowding, easyJet recommends that you use Online or Mobile Check-in and check baggage in at a baggage self-service kiosk (where available). To minimize contact, you will be self-scanning your boarding pass, and documents will be verified without being passed on to the staff.
easyJet implemented Protection Promise, a guarantee of flexibility and protection for customers:
- There is no change fee for flight changes made up to and including September 30, 2021. You can change your flight for free, anytime up to 2 hours before your departure, and you will be asked to pay the difference only if the new fare is higher.
- If easyJet cancels your flight, the Refund Guarantee promises that you can easily request a cash refund or voucher.
- For flights up to and including September 30, 2021, the Travel Restriction Protection guarantees that, if your flight is impacted by a lockdown travel ban or mandatory hotel quarantine, you can change your flight to a later date for free, up to 2 hours before departure, or opt for a voucher or refund, even if the flight is still operating.
In partnership with Collinson Insurance, easyJet developed a new travel insurance product that offers COVID-19 travel insurance as standard. The new travel insurance covers customers who are diagnosed with COVID-19 before the trip (necessary rearrangements or refunds), as well as customers diagnosed with COVID-19 during their trip (necessary medical assistance, additional accommodation, and the cost of returning home safely).
Besides the new COVID-19 travel insurance, easyJet also partnered with local testing providers to supply customers with convenient, reliable, and affordable pre-departure PCR testing at preferential rates:
- From the UK – Randox Health provides COVID-19 PCR home test kits.
- From Germany (Berlin, Düsseldorf, Hamburg, Stuttgart) – Centogene offers COVID-19 PCR and Antigen testing at a special rate.
- From Switzerland – UNILABS offers PCR testing at a special rate for EasyJet customers.