What is the carry-on allowance on British Airways flights?
On British Airways flights, the free hand baggage allowance is one piece of hand baggage plus one handbag or laptop. Size and weight restrictions apply.
On occasion, due to the aircraft stowage capacity, British Airways may ask passengers to check some or all of their hand baggage at the boarding gate. If the baggage is within the carry-on allowance, extra baggage charges will not apply.
What is British Airways’ policy on checked baggage allowance?
The checked baggage allowance (number of pieces and weight) varies depending on the class of travel, route and ticket type booked. When traveling in more than one cabin, the allowance for that cabin will apply for each flight.
Any bag that exceeds the following restrictions will not be accepted and must be shipped separately as freight or cargo:
- Maximum size (including the handle, pockets and wheels): 190 x 75 x 65 cm (75 x 29.5 x 25.5 in).
- Maximum weight: 32 kg (70 lbs), except for musical instruments weighing less than 45 kg (99 lbs) provided that advance arrangements have been made.
Can I check baggage for connecting flights?
Provided your journey is on the same ticket, your baggage will be checked to your final destination. When a change of airports is required for your connecting flight, your baggage will not be checked to your final destination. If you are travelling on separate tickets, British Airways will check your baggage to your final destination if all flights are operated by oneworld airlines booked under the same booking reference.
When traveling to some countries, passengers are required to clear customs at the first point of entry. That means baggage must be collected upon arrival, even if it is checked to the final destination, cleared through customs and handed back to an airline representative for the next flight.
Carry-on (Hand Baggage)
British Airways imposes the following restrictions for the hand baggage allowance:
- Maximum weight allowed is 23 kg (51 lbs) per bag, but you must be able to lift the bag into the overhead bin without assistance.
- Maximum size allowed, including the handle, pockets and wheels, for the main piece is 56 x 45 x 25 cm (22 x 18 x 10 in). The bag must fit into the bag gauge (available at the check-in area).
- Maximum size allowed, including the handle and pockets, for the handbag or laptop is 40 x 30 x 15 cm (16 x 12 x 6 in), except on flights to/from Brazil 45 x 36 x 20 cm (18 x 14 x 8 in). The handbag or laptop must fit under the seat in front of you.
Hand baggage that does not meet the above restrictions will be checked and will count toward the checked baggage allowance. You will be charged for extra baggage at the airport rate if your checked baggage allowance is exceeded, or you are traveling on a hand-baggage only fare.
Infants traveling on British Airways flights have a hand baggage allowance of one bag containing items that might be required during the flight, bag that you must be able to lift into the overhead bin without help (max. 23 kg and 56 x 45 x 25 cm).
The following hand baggage allowances apply on flights operated for British Airways by franchise airlines:
- Comair (BA6200-6449) – 1 carry-on of maximum 7 kg (15 lbs) and 56 x 36 x 23 cm (22 x 14 x 9 in) plus 1 handbag or laptop bag of maximum 7 kg (15 lbs) and 45 x 36 x 20 cm (18 x 14 x 8 in).
- SUN-AIR of Scandinavia (BA8200-8299) – 1 bag of maximum 6 kg (13 lbs) and 45 x 36 x 20 cm (18 x 14 x 8 in) and 1 handbag/laptop of maximum 6 kg (13 lbs).
When your itinerary includes a flight operated by American Airlines, American Airlines’ allowance on carry-on baggage will apply. You may be required to check your hand baggage as hold baggage, but no charge for excess baggage would be applied in this case. When your itinerary includes flights operated by other airlines, the British Airways baggage allowance may be more generous, and the other airline may charge you for extra baggage.
Hand Baggage Only
The hand baggage only fare must be purchased for both outbound and return flights and cannot be combined with other types of fare. Children and infants may still check a fully collapsible pushchair (stroller) and a car seat. If needed, baggage can be checked for an additional fee (extra baggage charge).
British Airways will carry some of your baggage free of charge. Your checked baggage allowance depends on baggage regulations applying at the time of your flight and will be shown on your ticket, your itinerary and receipt (if you have an electronic ticket), and Manage My Booking.
- If every flight has a BA code, British Airways’ checked baggage allowance applies, even if some or all flights are operated by other airlines (codeshare flights).
- If every flight has another airline’s code, that airline’s baggage allowance applies.
- If your flights are a mix of BA and other airline codes, the Most Significant Carrier rule applies (usually the airline operating the longest part of the journey).
Checked Baggage Allowances
The maximum dimensions of a checked bag are 90 x 75 x 43 cm (35.5 x 29.5 x 16 in), including the handle, pockets and wheels. Bags that exceed this requirement, but do not exceed the maximum size allowed, can be carried for an additional charge, but British Airways currently waives the oversized bag charge, so you do not pay it. An extra bag charge will apply for bags checked in addition to the baggage allowance. British Airways may apply an overweight baggage charge for bags weighing over 23 kg (51 lbs).
Based on class of travel and route (see route exceptions below), the general baggage allowances for British Airways flights are:
- Economy – Euro Traveller, World Traveller:
- Basic – no allowance.
- Plus, Plus Flex, Standard – 1 bag up to 23 kg (51 lbs).
- 1 bag up to 32 kg (70 lbs) – flights between London and Doha.
- 2 bags up to 23 kg (51 lbs) each – flights between Europe and Japan; flights to/from Ghana, Kenya, and Nigeria; connecting between India and USA/Bermuda/Canada; journeys originating in Saudi Arabia to USA/Bermuda/Canada and return; journeys originating in Kuwait to the British Airways network and return.
- Premium Economy – World Traveller Plus: 2 bags up to 23 kg (51 lbs) each.
- Business – Club Europe, Club World, Club World London City: 2 bags up to 32 kg (70 lbs) each.
- First: 3 bags up to 32 kg (70 lbs) each.
Children (2-11 years) have the same checked baggage allowance as adults. Infants (under 2 years) have a checked baggage allowance of 1 standard-size bag. For both children and infants, one fully-collapsible pushchair (stroller) and one car seat can be checked without charge.
In addition to the checked baggage allowance, an unlimited number of mobility aids, for personal use only, can be checked free of charge. There is no weight limit for wheelchairs, but advance notice (at least 24 hours before the flight) is required if the wheelchair exceeds the maximum weight allowed.
Extra Baggage and Overweight Baggage Fees
Extra baggage charges may be paid in advance, online, or at the airport. Online, you can pay to check up to 10 extra bags with the same weight restrictions as your baggage allowance. Extra bags can be purchased for adults and children, but not for infants. Payment for extra bags must be made before check-in. When paid at the airport, extra bags will be charged at a higher rate.
|1st Bag Fees – Basic Fares (hand baggage only)|
|Route||Online (depending on the route)||At the airport|
|Short-haul||London Heathrow||£25/$40/€35 – £48/$72/€66||£65/$100/€75|
|London Gatwick||£20/$30/€25 – £48/$72/€66||£50/$75/€65|
|London City||£25/$40/€35 – £40/$60/€55||£65/$100/€75|
|London Stansted, Birmingham, Bristol, Edinburgh, Manchester||£20/$30/€25 – £35/$55/€45||£65/$100/€75|
|Long-haul||To/from the US, Canada, Mexico & London Gatwick||£40/$55/€45||£45/$60/€50|
|All other routes||£60/$90/€70||£65/$100/€75|
|2nd and Subsequent Bags Fees|
|Route||2nd bag||Each additional bag (3-10)|
(depending on the route)
|At the airport||Online|
(depending on the route)
|At the airport|
|Short-haul||London Gatwick||£36/$55/€46 –|
|All other routes||£60/$90/€70||£65/$100/€75||£60/$90/€70||£65/$100/€75|
Whenever the maximum weight of bags included in the checked baggage allowance is 23 kg (51 lbs), the overweight baggage charge of 65 GBP / 75 EUR / 100 USD / 100 CAD per bag will apply at check-in for any bag exceeding this weight.
The following baggage charges apply on flights operated by franchise airlines using British Airways branding and flight codes:
- SUN-AIR of Scandinavia (BA8200-8299) – the same as for flights operated by British Airways.
- Comair (BA6200-6449) – see table below.
|Comair Flights (BA6200-6449)||Extra Bag Charge (23 kg)||Overweight|
|Online||At the airport|
|Within South Africa||330 ZAR||425 ZAR||340 ZAR|
|Between South Africa and Victoria Falls,|
Mauritius, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Windhoek
|520 ZAR||645 ZAR / 52 USD /|
1,700 MUR / 645 NAD
|520 ZAR / 42 USD /|
1,375 MUR / 520 NAD
|All other flights||N/A||950 ZAR / 70 USD /|
|700 ZAR / 60 USD /|
Waived Baggage Charges
For Executive Club Gold and oneworld Emerald members, British Airways waives the extra bag charge for one additional bag, regardless of class of travel. Executive Club Silver and oneworld Sapphire members have an extra allowance of one additional bag up to 32 kg, but no more than 2 bags free of charge, regardless of the route and class of travel, unless the cabin allowance is greater. These waivers apply for all passengers traveling on the same booking (except special group rate bookings) but do not apply for Basic (hand baggage only) fares.
Heavy bag charges are waived for:
- Passengers traveling in First and Business (Club World, Club Europe and Biz Bed) class.
- British Airways Executive Club Gold and Silver members and oneworld Emerald and Sapphire members (for everyone in the booking).
- Mobility aids and essential medical equipment.
Most types of sporting equipment may be transported as part of (but not in addition to) the free checked baggage allowance. All sporting equipment has to meet the size and weight restrictions of the checked baggage allowance. Sporting items over 23 kg may incur an overweight baggage charge. Oversized items up to 190 x 75 x 65 cm (75 x 29.5 x 25.5 in) incur an additional charge, but British Airways currently waives this charge, so you do not pay it.
For items lost on a British Airways flight, in a British Airways lounge, or at an airport, you must contact the airport directly.
If you receive your baggage damaged, you must file a missing baggage report in writing immediately and at the latest within 7 days of receiving the baggage. If your baggage is delayed, you must file a missing baggage report in writing within 8 days at the latest of the checked baggage being made available to you.