Are there any restrictions when flying with babies on Avianca flights?
Babies are allowed to travel on Avianca flights only 10 days after delivery. To travel before 10 days after delivery, both the mother and infant will need to present to Avianca a medical certificate attesting their fitness to fly.
How can I travel with my baby on Avianca flights?
Up to 2 years old, babies are considered infants and may travel on an adult’s lap. A baby who is 24 months plus 1 day before or on the return travel date will be considered a child.
You can travel with a maximum of 2 infants in accordance with the following conditions:
- The first infant must fly seated on your lap; only one infant on lap is allowed per adult. You must hold the infant and use the seatbelt for infants provided by the cabin crew. The infant discount will apply.
- The second infant must travel in a separate seat, in a baby seat that is approved or labeled for use on commercial aircraft. The child discount will apply; if not available, the full adult fare will be charged.
What baby items am I allowed to take in addition to my baggage allowance?
Although infants are not entitled to a carry-on allowance, passengers traveling with babies may take on board, at no additional cost, one of the following items:
A baby stroller may be transported in the passenger cabin, or it may be accepted as checked baggage:
- Umbrella type stroller – may be taken to the boarding gate and transported free of charge in the cabin if there is space to store it.
- Fully collapsible stroller up to 9 kg (20 lbs) – must be checked in, free of charge, at the check-in counter or the boarding gate and will be transported only as checked baggage.
- Large strollers – must be checked in at the check-in counter and will be charged as oversized baggage if the total dimensions exceed 158 cm (62 in) up to 230 cm (90 in), but the weight does not exceed 9 kg (20 lbs), or as an extra piece of baggage if it weighs between 9 kg (20 lbs) and 23 kg (50 lbs) with total dimensions up to 230 cm (90 in).
Infant on Lap
The infant must have been issued a ticket, and the infant’s ticket must be associated with yours, so you should purchase it at the same time. All infant tickets pay applicable taxes and airport charges.
Infants travel free of charge on the lap of an adult on domestic flights within Colombia and in Economy Class on domestic flights within Honduras. On all other flights, Avianca offers a 90% discount for infants traveling on the lap in all classes.
On all Avianca flights, infants not occupying a seat have a checked baggage allowance of:
- 2 pieces up to 23 kg (50 lbs) each – flights to/from Europe.
- 1 piece up to 10 kg (22 lbs) – all other flights.
Only on flights operated by A330 and B787 aircraft, the Cradle Service is available for babies 12 months old or less, weighing up to 11 kg and measuring less than 74 centimeters. Each aircraft is equipped with three cradles.
Cradles measure 74.93 X 33.99 X 22.40 cm (29.5 x 13.38 x 8.82 inches). To guarantee the babies’ safety and comfort, they will be checked in the aircraft to make sure they comply with the required characteristics. The cradles must be requested when checking-in at the counter and will be assigned on a first come, first served basis.
Infants with Reserved Seats
If you need a seat for your infant, you will have to buy a Child fare, if available, or Adult fare. Discounts for children are offered depending on the fare purchased and route:
|Domestic within Colombia|
|Domestic within Honduras|
Does not apply
|Domestic within Peru|
Does not apply
|Domestic within Ecuador|
|International within Central America|
|International between South America and the Caribbean, Central America|
|International to/from North America|
Does not apply
|International to/from Europe|
If you reserve a seat on the aircraft for your baby, the baby seat you’ll use for your flight must meet the safety requirements of the FAA (Federal Aviation Administration). Otherwise, the baby seat will be considered an extra piece of baggage, in addition to the baggage allowance, for which charges may apply.
If you decide to pay a Child or Adult fare for an infant to secure their seat, Avianca will apply the baggage allowance according to the cabin class in which you are traveling. Also, the infant has the right to meal service.